San Diego Mobile Pet Grooming Blog
Going off to college is an exciting time for students, but also one filled with many worries and anxieties. Leaving the comforts of home and moving to college for the first time can be a difficult transition as students leave behind family, friends and other support systems. One of the biggest concerns students report is worrying about and missing the canine companions they had to leave behind. Many institutions understand this difficulty and allow students to bring their dog to campus and live in pet friendly dorms.
Pet Friendly Campuses are a Growing Trend
Dogs are playing and increasingly important, prominent, and inclusive role in our society today, and educational institutions are taking note. A growing number of institutions are recognizing the huge advantage of allowing pets on campus and providing pet friendly accommodations for students and their dogs.
Canine Social Support
New situations are difficult for all of us, especially when we go it alone and are going to a place where we do not already have established relationships in place. For some, this difficulty proves too much and causes the student to become lonely, depressed, and isolated. Recognizing this, more campuses are making accommodations for pets of all types, including a growing number that allow dogs. Dogs provide students with a built-in, unlimited, unconditional support system that helps ease that transition. Having a dog by their side, the students have a ready topic of conversation and provides a way for students to approach and connect each other in a comfortable and nonthreatening way.
Some Considerations About Taking Your Dog to College
For some, having a dog with them on campus can add needed structure. For others, the added responsibility can prove too much to manage in addition to a full course load.Advantages include:
- Having a built in friend
- A way to relieve anxiety
- Added structure to the day
- An easy avenue of connection with others
- Aids in loneliness
- Increases student exposure to exercise and outdoor activities
Some Disadvantages Include:
- Being tied down
- Added responsibility
- Added expense
Schools That Allow Dogs in Dorms
If you are looking for a dog friendly school, check out these great options.
- Eckerd College, Florida. Dogs under 40 pounds are permitted on campus and are a frequent sight. Some dogs even walk with their owners at commencement.
- Stephens College, Missouri. At this extremely dog friendly school canines of all sizes take center stage. They even have a doggie daycare.
- University of Washington, Seattle. Dogs are allowed in designated dorms.
- Washington and Jefferson College, Washington, PA. Family pets allowed in designated dorms.
- Stetson University, Deland, Fl. Not only does Stetson allow dogs in certain dormitories, they even have a dog park to help promote animal health.
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Champaign, Ill. Students in the school's housing unity are allowed to keep up to two pets per apartment.
- Principia College, Elsah, Ill. This pet friendly school allows dogs in the residence halls and even has an animal relations committee.
- Trackback Link
- Post has no trackbacks.
Post a Comment